- Ramadan is the ninth (9th) month in the Islamic Calendar and one of great religious significance for Muslims around the world. It is characterized by worship, spiritual contemplation and fasting. The Holy Quran states: “O you who believe, fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint.” Qur’an 2: 183.
- The Fiqh Council of North America recognizes astronomical calculation as an acceptable Shar’i method for determining the beginning of Lunar months including the months of Ramadan and Shawwal. FCNA uses Makkah al-Mukarrama as a conventional point and takes the position that the conjunction must take place before sunset in Makkah and moon must set after sunset in Makkah.
- On the basis of this method, the Islamic Association of the Shenandoah Valley is pleased to announce its calendar and events for Ramadan 1435 (2014 CE). Please keep checking back on the website for further details as they become available.
- First Day of Fasting: Saturday, June 28, 2014
- First Taraweeh Prayer: Friday,June 27, 2014
- Laylat-ul-Qadr: TBA
- Eid-ul-Fitr: Monday, July 28, 2014
- Please check back on this website daily at the following link to determine:
- Imsak (start fast) at Fajr Adan
- Iftar (break fast) at Maghrib Adan
- Taraweeh (special nightly prayers) and Isha prayer times
Eid will be this Tuesday, October 15th. Eid Salah will be approximately 9:30. Overflow parking is available at National Business College. Food …
1. Eid will be this Tuesday October 15th. Eid salah will be approximately 9:30. DO NOT BRING ANY FOOD! Please donate money into the red bucket if you would like all your proceeds to be for the Eid kid’s celebration. We are planning on having many of the same competitions and fun activities as we did during the last Eid celebration. We need your support, please put yuor donation in the red bucket if you want your money to go for that purpose.
2. There will be a Chaand Raat, (ladies henna night fundraiser) on Sunday, October 13 from 4pm to 8pm. The event is Ladies only! Dinner is potluck so please bring your favorite dish (no rice)! Henna is $5 dollars per hand for Ladies, $5 both hands for girls.
3. JMU MSA needs your support for the Eid Al Adha dinner. Please contact Naveera or Seinab. When: Thursday, October 17th 7-8:30 PM Location: Transitions, Warren Hall, JMU
4. Please keep this masjid your duahs. We also need your full fledge support and donations for the payment of the parking lot project. The total is about $45,000 dollars. Please keep your steady support coming. If you would like to donate specifically for this project, simply put the money in an envelope and write on it “Parking lot project.”
Chaand Raat is an event that originated in Pakistan and India where women and girls decorate their hands with mehndi (henna) in preparation for Eid. Chaand Raat for Eid al-Adha will take place on Sunday, October 13, 2013 from 4:00-8:00PM and is open to all women and girls in the community.
The event isLadies only! Dinner is potluck so please bring your favorite dish (no rice)! Henna is $5 dollars per hand for Ladies, $5 boh hands for girls.
The First 10 days of Zul Hijjah: Why They Matter
by Sound Vision
Even for those not performing the pilgrimage, Hajj, the first ten days of this month are considered very sacred and a time for increased reflection, seeking Allah’s forgiveness, doing good and various other forms of worship. READ MORE