- Interfaith Vigil Powerful Response To Violence (3/26/2019) - Source: DNR Members of different faith communities in the area demonstrated the type of unity we’d like to see more of in today’s world on Friday. Valley residents of various religious backgrounds attended an interfaith vigil at the Islamic Center of the Shenandoah Valley in Harrisonburg after Friday prayers in remembrance of those killed in an attack on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, the week before. A gunman targeting Muslims killed 50 people and injured dozens more in the March 15 terror attacks. Friday’s vigil in Harrisonburg was organized by Faith in Action, a coalition of 24 local congregations, including the Islamic Association, as reported in Saturday’s Daily News-Record. The group held a similar observance at the synagogue in Harrisonburg after 11 people were killed in an Oct. 27 attack at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Nadia Dames, one of the organizers of the vigil, noted that it was “a sad reason to come together, but another reason to show our solidarity.” Indeed, the despicable act in New Zealand is not what we want to see to bring people of different faiths together, but it is important that we all stand together in trying times. Showing solidarity is a powerful response to those whose hatred manifests itself in the most heinous of ways, and it also sends a message of support to those directly affected by the violence. “In the face of this violence and hatred, may we continue to offer spaces of refuge and solidarity to those who need it,” Dames said at the vigil. “May we continue to worship and practice ways that heal our community.” We hope vigils like Friday’s do not need to be held again, but we applaud the group for taking action in our corner of the world.
- IASV Membership Fees (11/13/2018) - The IASV Board approved and raised the Membership Renewal Fee from $10 to $50 at its March 2018 meeting to carry out current and future projects. We appreciate your understanding in this regard and offer our thanks for continued support you show for IASV operations. We request you to kindly pay your Membership Renewal Fee to make your account current. You may deduct any Membership Fee for CY2018 if you paid on or after January 1, 2018. Please note that your on-time payment will enable you to participate in General Meetings and future Elections. You may click here to download an IASV Membership Form. Download and print the form, then complete, sign and submit, together with your membership fee, to an IASV board member. Your support and participation in IASV makes our organization and community stronger! With best regards, IASV Board
- Saturday School: First Semester Dates (10/27/2018) - Thanksgiving Break: School is OFF on Saturday, November 24 Classes RESUME on Saturday, December 1 Winter Break: School is OFF on Saturday, December 29 Classes RESUME on Saturday January 5, 2019 (Happy New Year)
- Saturday School (8/31/2018) - 1) Saturday school classes start TOMORROW, 9/8/2018, at 11:00am 2) Continue registration in the social hall after today’s Jumaa Prayer ($50 per student per semester)
- Eid Al-Adha 2018 (8/14/2018) -