Ramadan is the ninth (9th) month in the Islamic Calendar and one of great religious significance for Muslims around the world. It is characterized by worship, spiritual contemplation and fasting. The Holy Quran states: “O you who believe, fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint.” Qur’an 2: 183.
The Fiqh Council of North America recognizes astronomical calculation as an acceptable Shar’i method for determining the beginning of Lunar months including the months of Ramadan and Shawwal. FCNA uses Makkah al-Mukarrama as a conventional point and takes the position that the conjunction must take place before sunset in Makkah and moon must set after sunset in Makkah.
On the basis of this method, the Islamic Association of the Shenandoah Valley is pleased to announce its calendar and events for Ramadan 1437 AH (2016 AD). Please keep checking back on the www.iasv.org website for further details as they become available.
- First Day of Fasting: June 6, 2016
- First Taraweeh Prayer: June 5, 2016
- Laylat-ul-Qadr: July 2, 2016
- Eid-ul-Fitr: July 6, 2016
Please check back on this website daily at www.iasv.org to determine:
- Imsak (start fast) at Fajr Adan
- Iftar (break fast) at Maghrib Adan
- Taraweeh (special nightly prayers) and Isha prayer times
May Allah (swt) keep us on the right path, and accept our fasting and prayers. Ameen. For more detailed information, please visit: www.moonsighting.com
- Ramadan 2016 (6/3/2016) -
Daily Iftar and breakfasts will be held at the masjid during the month of Ramadan. The kitchen volunteers and the Chef are asking that you get in touch to reserve a place so they know how many to cook for. Please use the contact form to let us know how many people are coming on which day. Additionally, IASV hosts a weekly potluck for our congregation on each Saturday during the month of Ramadan. Additional potluck will be hosted on each Sunday during the month of Ramadan which will include the wider Harrisonburg and Shenandoah Valley community, Muslims and Non Muslims. Additional community events will follow and will be posted in the events section soon.
Tarawih Prayer will be held daily throughout Ramadan. The first Tarawih will take place on Sunday, June 5th and ends on Tuesday, July 5th. Tarawih prayer starts after Isha and is expected to take 60 min.
- Imam Search (5/17/2016) - The IASV has announced its intention to hire a full time Imam. We have been a congregant run community since inception. This milestone is extremely important and could not have happened without our local community growth. Please take a look at the Imam Job Description and Application for more information. If you or someone you know is interested, please let them know.